Brett Suemnicht is currently an MFA student in the Painting & Printmaking department at Virginia Commonwealth University. They received their BFA from the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design in 2014. Originally from Clearwater, Florida they spent their formative years in the midwest and currently lives part time in Richmond, Virginia. Their work challenges the complexities of the gender binary, navigating the fixed nature of gay and straight Identity. Suemnicht makes work as an activist, regarding their studio practice as a place of resistance in struggles of gender-queerness. Performativity, reclaiming language, and critiquing gendered binaries critically frame their work.
Their work has been shown in exhibitions in Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Baltimore, Portland and internationally in South Korea. In 2015, they started GenderFail, a small press which focuses on the perspectives of Queer, Trans, and People of Color. GenderFail invites artists to create artist book or zine work under these loose guidelines. A portion of every sale will be donated to an organization of the individual's’ choice. GenderFail looks to provide resources to artists, writers, poets, and activists centered around issues that matter most to everyone involved.
Past Curatorial / Exhibition Work at Little Berlin & The Annex:
- Decmeber 2016: After School Special: Varsity
- July 2016: MFA Series, Americana Tropicana, Bryant Girsch
- July 2016: MFA Series, Object Poem, Alexander Conner
- July 2016: Walls Talk Back, Kaitlin Pomerantz, Mariel Capanna, and Paul M. Farber
- July 2016: MFA Series, As Is, Kaitlin Pomerantz
- July 2016: MFA Series, Orange and Blue, Caitlin Rooney
- May 2016: Falolo4ever Co-curated with Ana Rankin